BREAKING: Dogs rescued

No injuries in Portsmouth fire

Three dogs were rescued from a fire in a downtown Portsmouth residence on Thursday morning.

According to Portsmouth Fire Chief Steven Achilles, the fire began at 10:44 a.m. at 534 State St., a two-unit, two-story residence. The blaze began on a stovetop and spread through the kitchen, damaging the first floor of the building and causing smoke and heat damage to the second floor.

No one was hurt in the blaze, Achilles said. One of the rescued dogs had been in the unit where the fire took place, while the other two were in the adjacent unit.

Crews were able to extinguish the fire within 15 minutes, according to Achilles. Emergency crews from Kittery, Newington, and Exeter assisted at the scene.


Smoke spills from a smashed window during a fire on State Street in Portsmouth Thursday morning. photos courtesy of the Portsmouth Fire Department