Portsmouth is on the New Hampshire Seacoast, roughly an hour north of Boston, an hour east of Manchester, N.H., and an hour south of Portland, Maine.
- Logan International Airport (BOS), Boston
C&J bus line provides regular service from Logan Airport to the Portsmouth Transportation Terminal, which is 3 miles from the city center. From the terminal, take a taxi, rent a car or take a COAST bus to downtown Portsmouth. (COAST hours are limited. See below.
- Manchester Airport (MHT), Manchester NH
- Portland International Jetport (PWM), Portland ME
- Pease International, Portsmouth.
Allegiant Airlines offers service between Portsmouth and several destinations in Florida.
- From the south: Take I-95 to Portsmouth, Exit 7. Turn east (right). Drive 1 mile.
- From the north: Take I-95 to Portsmouth, Exit 7. Turn east (left). Drive 1 mile.
- Carlisle Air Corp. Pease International Tradeport, Portsmouth. (877) 772-2777
- Seacoast Helicopters, Portsmouth. 1-800-SC-HELOS (724-3567)
Airport Limousines and Shuttles
- Chauffeured Services International. (603) 436-5151
- Grace Limousine. (603) 666-0203
- Great Bay Limousine. 1-800-820-6117
- Mermaid Transportation Co. (to Portland, Manchester and Logan). (207) 885-5630
- Seacoast Area Bicycle Riders
This local organization that promotes a safe and effective bicycle transportation network in the Seacoast/Great Bay Region. Information about biking events, maps and upcoming projects.
- Portsmouth is located on the Piscataqua River, which separates New Hampshire and Maine and empties into the Atlantic 3 miles downstream. Limited docking space is available at various locations, including Prescott Park and Wentworth by the Sea Marina.
- GOGO Charters Boston
Provides group transportation services from Portsmouth to Boston. Serves Logan International Airport and Portsmouth International Airport. Private charter bus and minibus rentals are also available for outdoor trips, event transportation and sightseeing in NH and MA.
- C&J Bus Lines
Serves Logan Airport and Boston’s South Station. The Portsmouth terminal is at Pease International Tradeport, adjacent to Route 33 and near Interstate 95 Exit 3A (about 3 miles from downtown Portsmouth). Also stops in Dover and Newburyport, Mass., and offers non-stop service to New York City. (800) 258-7111. Visitors will need to take a taxi, rent a car, or take a COAST bus from the terminal to downtown Portsmouth. Limited hours. Car rental services are available via the Portsmouth and Dover locations.
- COAST Trolley and Bus
Transportation between various points in Portsmouth and Pease Air Terminal, Portsmouth Transportation Center, Fox Run Mall, Marshall’s Mall. (603) 743-5777.
- UNH Wildcat Transit
Bus service between Durham (University of New Hampshire) and Portsmouth, Newington, Dover, Newmarket, Lee, Barrington, and Rochester. Transit information and schedules available online.
- Enterprise. 155 Mirona Road, Portsmouth, (603) 431-4707
- Enterprise. 400 Spaulding Turnpike, Portsmouth, (603) 373-6764
- Hertz. 2800 Lafayette Road, Portsmouth, (603) 422-6707
- Key Rent-A-Car. 9 Post Road, Portsmouth, (603) 373-8917
- Amtrak Downeaster. Five daily roundtrips from Dover, Durham, and Exeter to Portland, Maine, and Boston with two roundtrips to Freeport and Brunswick, Maine. Get to the Exeter or Dover station by rental car, taxi, or the COAST bus system, and the Durham station by Wildcat Transit. 1-800-USA-RAIL (872-7245).
For in-depth information about public and private transportation options for the public, elderly, disabled, veterans, and other groups in the Seacoast and elsewhere in New Hampshire, see CommunityRides.org, a website created by the Alliance for Community Transportation.