rpm challenge 2021
Check your mic: The 2021 RPM Challenge begins on Monday.

Top five things to do: Jan. 29-Feb. 4

Art, Books, Music, Top Five Things to Do
A roundup of upcoming entertainment on the Seacoast

Here are some upcoming options for music, art, and literature, much of which can be enjoyed from home or in person.

Skunk Sessions at The Stone Church

There’s one night of live music left before The Stone Church in Newmarket shuts its doors for the next month or so. Salem, Mass.-based jam band Skunk Sessions is playing two socially-distanced sets at the Church on Saturday night. The late show is sold out, but there are a handful of spots remaining for the early show from 5-7 p.m. Tickets are sold by the table (table of four: $60; table of six: $90). For more information, click here.

Winter Warmer: Rick Rude

The Seacoast Music Support group’s Winter Warmer concert series continues this weekend with a virtual performance by local indie-rock band Rick Rude on Saturday from 8-10 p.m. Tickets to the online show are $20, with 95 percent of proceeds going directly to the performers and the remaining 5 percent going to the Continuum Arts Collective. The series features shows every Saturday through March 27. Learn more here.

The RPM Challenge: Recording 101

It’s almost February, which means it’s time to gear up for the annual RPM Challenge, a local initiative that encourages musicians to write and record an album of original music in one month. This year, Montreal-based musician Micah Brown will help participants get ready with a virtual workshop on Sunday from 3-4 p.m. Brown, who has been home recording for over a decade, will go over the all the basics. Learn more here.

The Music Hall presents Rebecca Carroll

While The Music Hall in Portsmouth is taking a brief hiatus from in-person events, there are some virtual offerings coming up. On Tuesday at 7 p.m., the Writers on a New England Stage series will livestream a conversation with author Rebecca Carroll. Carroll, who grew up the only black person in her rural New Hampshire town, will share her new memoir, “Surviving the White Gaze.” Tickets are $5. Learn more here.

NHAA presents ‘Perfect Pairings’

perfect pairings nhaa

A new exhibition coming to the Robert Lincoln Levy Gallery in Portsmouth features “Perfect Pairings” of artwork. New Hampshire Art Association members explore the theme with pairs of works that relate to each other. The show runs Feb. 3-28, with all works available to view and purchase online or at the gallery. There is a virtual opening reception next Friday, Feb. 5, at 6:30 p.m. on Zoom. For more information, click here.

See the full calendar for more local events.