The Gilman Family, owners of lucrative sawmills in Exeter, built a garrison, or fortified structure, near the banks of the Squamscott River in 1709. Today it’s known as the Gilman Garrison House.
The interior was constructed of massive sawn logs, and pulley above the main entrance operated a reinforced door.
Later, in the mid-18th century, Peter Gilman remodeled the house, adding a wing with elegantly paneled rooms.
Today the building is managed and maintained by Historic New England.
To learn about other area attractions, click here.