3S Artspace presents:
Loading Dock Concert Series – Nihco Gallo and the Bad-Year Boys
Friday, June 18
Show time: 8pm – 9:15 LATE SHOW
All ages / Seated
Pay-what-you-choose table reservation (starting at $50 for up to 4 people)
About Nihco Gallo and the Bad-Year Boys:
The vibraphonist Nihco Gallo has established for himself a unique place in the Southern Maine and New Hampshire music landscape, earning performance bona fides in concert halls, jazz clubs, dive bars, and on the street. Largely self-taught, Gallo incorporates a wide array of influences into his playing and composition, including jazz, country, minimalist music, and music from South America.
In response to the pandemic, Gallo incorporated the Bad-Year Boys (featuring tap dancer Ayan Imai-Hall, drummer Zak King, and bassist Scott Kiefner) and established a rigorous schedule of street performances throughout New England. Weekly all-weather busking has sharpened the Bad-Year Boys into a keen outfit interweaving rhythm and melody in a visceral performance experience that is unlikely to be forgotten.
Nihco Gallo: vibraphone & marimba
Ayan Imai-Hall: tap dance
Zak King: drums
Scott Kiefner: bass
New Hampshire native Ayan Imai-Hall started tap dancing when he was eight years old and since then, has performed across the nation with companies including Atlantic Steps, Tap Kids, Tapestry, and Subject:Matter. In 2012, Ayan was awarded a Traditional Arts Apprenticeship Grant by the New Hampshire State Council on the Arts with blues musician and educator, TJ Wheeler.
Zak King is a Boston and New York City based drummer. He earned his Bachelor of Music in Education at the University of New Hampshire and his Master’s of Music in Performance at the New England Conservatory of Music. Since graduating, Zachary has performed his craft in many off-broadway performances, jazz nights and festivals, metal concerts, and more. He got his start playing in schools and pit orchestras in southern NH, and at 16 booked his first gig in Boston performing as drummer and lead vocalist of thrash ensemble Epicenter. Since then he has gone on to work with a number of groups and artists, such as Dave Newsam, Matt Savage, Michael Beling, Kenny Cha, and Shane Dylan. He currently works and performs with Javier Rosario, JJ Jhnsn, Dzö-nga, Ice Giant, Purging Sin, and Vibrater.
Scott Kiefner is a versatile and in-demand bassist who has performed and/or recorded with Vinx, Delfeayo Marsalis, Bill McHenry, Matt Wilson, and many more. In addition to a busy freelance schedule, he performs regularly as a member of Sojoy, OURBIGBAND, and the Soggy Po Boys throughout New England and beyond.
Info about attending a Loading Dock Concert:
– Online reservations. The Loading Dock shows are now ticketed shows to help us manage capacity and safety. All Loading Dock Concerts in 2020 sold out quickly and we anticipate high demand in 2021, so we strongly encourage you to purchase your table reservation in advance. We have several pricing tiers for you to choose from for your table– please know that the more you pay, the more funds are received by the artists– not just 3S. Thank you for supporting 3S and the artists during this challenging time and helping to keep music alive.
– Assigned table seating. We’ve created a table seating plan to ensure cleanliness, proper physical distancing from other visitors, and simplicity. Your table reservation can fit up to 4 guests in your party (no more than 2 households permitted at each table).
– Table service provided by Barrio. You can order drinks and food from Barrio’s full menu while you enjoy the show!
– Two shows per night: one at 6pm and one at 8pm. After the 6pm show, we ask that visitors exit right away as we will be disinfecting tables and seating areas prior to the 8pm show.
– Check-in. Check-in for the 6pm shows begins at 5:15pm. Check-in for the 8pm shows begins at 7:30pm. Barrio table service is available beginning at those check-in times. You will be asked a short series of health questions during check-in.
– Guests are required to wear masks while visiting 3S Artspace unless safely seated with your party at your reserved table.
Generously supported by:
Kennebunk Savings, AC Hotels by Marriott Portsmouth Downtown Waterfront / The Envio, Barrio Portsmouth, Portwalk Place, and Sheraton-Portsmouth Harborside Htl.