Anchoring Vintage Christmas in Portsmouth, the 40th Annual Candlelight Stroll is “A Tradition for Every Family” at Strawbery Banke Museum since 1979 and showcases 300+ years of seasonal and holiday traditions! This year’s event is dedicated to Town Crier, Bill Moss who passed away in late August after a sudden illness. Bill was the ever-cheerful presence at Stroll, making his rounds and calling “All is well” no matter the temperature or precipitation.
The museum’s furnished historic houses are adorned with thousands of handmade decorations created from greens and dried flowers from the museum’s six gardens. Visitors call on the many families who once lived in the “Puddle Dock” neighborhood including Mrs. Shapiro as she prepares a #HanukkahCelebration in 1919, The Goodwin family and servants as they prepare for a #VictorianChristmas, as well as the Abbott’s who await news of their soldier fighting in Europe in the Second World War.
While traveling from house to house, the glow of hundreds of lighted candle lanterns light the way and guests enjoy seasonal greetings from costumed role players and performers who recreate the traditions of times past. Be sure to catch Ice Dance International’s Vintage Skaters as they perform at various times in the evening at Labrie Family Skate at Puddle Dock Pond!
Candlelight Stroll’s authenticity is the foundation for the claim that the Vintage Christmas in Portsmouth holiday celebration, echoed by Travel + Leisure Magazine, makes Portsmouth ‘the Christmas capital of North America.’
TICKET INFORMATION + PRICES:
Avoid lines by purchasing tickets in advance! Save $5 per ticket by purchasing before Dec 1, 2019! (online ticket purchase price reflects the discount).
• Adults: $25.00
• Children (ages 5 – 17): $12.50 / Children (under 5): Free
• Family (covers 2 adults + 2 children ages 5 – 17): $60.00
• Active duty military & their families as well as veterans: Free at the door
• Group and corporate rates available
The museum’s parking lot (14 Hancock Street) is reserved for HANDICAP ONLY during the evenings of #CandlelightStroll. Guests are encouraged to park in town and take the COAST’s FREE Vintage Christmas Trolley!
ADD ON FEATURES:
• Labrie Family Skate at Puddle Dock Pond provides seasonal outdoor ice skating each night of #CandlelightStroll. Skate rentals available.
• Figtree Kitchen Café offers seasonal food and beverages during #CandlelightStroll in the Visitors Center.
• Pickwick’s at the Banke complements the museum with a shopping experience reflecting Portsmouth’s colonial maritime heritage.
• Pickwick’s Mercantile & Fezziwig’s Food & Fountain present a ticketed (NOT included with a Candlelight Stroll ticket), costumed holiday dining experience in Strawbery Banke’s Pitt Tavern during each night of Candlelight Stroll. Seating’s at 4 pm, 6 pm and 8 pm. For Holiday Dinner ticket (Candlelight Stroll tickets are separate), visit: https://www.pickwicksmercantile.com/